Skip to main content

Fragments of Frost And Fire -Episode 5- WALKING THE EDGE OF SILENCE

 Walking the Edge Of Silence

He walks the edge of things,

not for thrill,

but because the center holds no welcome.


A solitary figure in dark clothing stands at the end of a wooden breakwater extending into choppy ocean waters. The person faces away from the camera toward the horizon, silhouetted against an overcast sky with dramatic clouds. Waves crash around the weathered wooden posts of the breakwater, with white foam visible in the turbulent water. Large rocks are scattered at the base of the structure. The moody, contemplative scene captures a moment of solitude by the sea under grey, stormy skies. Photo by Ilia Bronskiy: https://www.pexels.com/photo/man-walking-on-wooden-breakwater-27698207/

What was once a life

now drags like loose thread—

unraveling in silence,

no protest,

no plea.

 

Friends became ghosts

long before they left.

Family: a word

too large for the absence it holds.

He stopped trying to explain.

They stopped trying to care.

 

But the dogs—

two tired shadows at his feet—

still follow him through wind and winter.

They ask nothing.

They know everything.

Their breath keeps time

with the broken metronome of his heart.

 

He tells himself

he stays for them,

and it’s true.

He could not bear to vanish

while their eyes still search the door,

while their paws still trust the earth

to bring him back.

 

To leave them—

is to sentence the loyal

to bewilderment and slow hunger.

It would mark his soul

with a wound that no grave could close.

He would carry their pain

through whatever came next.

And he will not do that to them.

 

And the stories—

the ones that ache behind his ribs,

the ones that come in fragments,

half-formed,

sacred—

if he leaves before they’re set down,

if he lets them scatter

as dust on the wind,

they will not forgive him.

 

They will burn.

Not into ash,

but into him.

He will carry their fire

in his marrow,

an eternal blaze of almost-said

and never-told.

 

So he waits.

Not for redemption.

Not for rescue.

But for the right endings.

 

He will not go

while fur brushes his skin

and old eyes still seek his face.

He will not go

while words still pace the cage

of his chest.

 

But when the last paw stills,

and the final page is written—

when the dogs sleep,

and the stories find their names—

he will know.

 

And he will go,

not with rage,

not with sorrow,

but with the hush of one

who gave all he had

before the silence.

Support Independent Content Creation

I know, I know, I know...

These donation messages can be intrusive. I understand that. (Trust me, I feel awkward writing them too!)

But reaching out like this is crucial. Being reader-funded gives my work something valuable that many content creators don't have: true independence.

1. Your support means I can write about what matters. I'm not chasing sponsorships or compromising my voice to please advertisers. I can pursue stories and topics I believe are important, creative, and thoughtful, regardless of their commercial appeal.

2. Your support means I don't have to chase viral trends. Instead of engineering clickbait or jumping on every passing bandwagon, I can focus on creating thoughtful content that genuinely adds value to your life.

3. Your support means this content remains freely accessible. My work stays available to everyone, including those who can't afford to contribute financially right now. Quality independent content should be accessible to all.

I understand not everyone is in a position to contribute, but if you found any value in this post you can

For the price of a coffee, you'll enable me to invest more time in creating in-depth, creative journal posts and episodes of the Stone & Signal podcast. If you'd like to contribute more, consider purchasing one of my e-books (priced at roughly two cups of coffee) – a way to support my work while gaining additional value for yourself.

Thank you for considering. Your support makes all the difference.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Stone and Signal - Episode 5: Storytelling As Resistance

  Welcome back to Stone and Signal.  I am excited about this episode.  I hope you enjoy it. The Podcast Links Episode 5 on Substack  Edpisode 5 on YouTube Episode 5 on Spotify The Essay The Transcript The Thin Line Between Cancelling and Censoring Every year, Banned Books Week comes around like a mirror we’re asked to look into—and what we see reflected says a great deal about who we are becoming. The books that end up on “challenged” or “restricted” lists rarely surprise me anymore. They tend to be the ones that speak too plainly about what others would rather not confront—identity, power, the environment, grief, or truth. If a story makes us uncomfortable, it’s easier to remove it from reach than to ask why it unsettles us. If I’m honest, many of my own books could probably find their way onto those lists. Stories that speak of youth defying systems, of ancient forces rising against human arrogance, of governments rewriting morality under the guise of progres...

Feeding the Beast: Why Pirated Books and AI Misuse Are Part of the Same Problem

The digital equivalent of someone selling stolen electronics or meat out of the back of a van, appearing on one corner one day and another the next.  Recent revelations about Meta’s use of copyrighted material for AI training have reignited concerns about how our creative works are being exploited. While Meta’s actions are troubling, the deeper issue isn’t new. It’s one I’ve spoken about before, and one I’ll continue to emphasize. The problem lies not just in what corporations like Meta are doing, but in how easily this exploitation is enabled. For decades, authors, artists, content creators, and consumers of our work, have been unknowingly, or carelessly, feeding the beast. The right hand (AI) has our attention right now, but the left hand is still stealing our wallet. The Problem We Helped Create I’ve long cautioned about the risks of uploading books, documents, and images to websites and software platforms without fully understanding the terms of service. Many creators have ...

Fragments of Frost and Fire - Episode 13 - Walk-On-By Society

 Sometimes a passing phrase cuts through the noise of the day and stays with you. I recently came across a video shared by @modelstrangers on Threads , where a man—soft-spoken but resolute—spoke about the loneliness we often feel even when surrounded by millions, and the deep importance of respecting every person, no matter their role in society. His words reminded me of how easy it is to walk past others without truly seeing them. And how powerful it can be when we choose to see. This poem was born from that moment of reflection. Walk-On-By Society Millions of footsteps echo, side by side, but hearts pass like shadows— unseen, untouched, eyes fixed forward, never meeting yours. In the crowd, you could scream, and still be an empty whisper. P hoto by Mehmet Turgut Kirkgoz : https://www.pexels.com/photo/elderly-man-with-a-broom-and-a-dustpan-19408637/ This is a walk-on-by world, where silence is safer than kindness, where pain is private and everyone is "fine." But listen— n...